What makes WEFT 90.1 FM different from all commercial stations and most public radio stations is that we are owned and operated by members of the community we serve. WEFT is about variety, diversity and more.
- WEFT 90.1 FM is a non-commercial radio station locally owned by Prairie Air, Incorporated, a not-for-profit corporation.
- WEFT 90.1 FM is an accessible, responsible and responsive radio alternative, serving the diverse communities of radio listeners in East Central Illinois and worldwide listeners via our stream.
Link to WEFT's full Mission Statement.
WEFT's first began broadcasting on the FM airwaves on September 26, 1981, you can read a short version of WEFT's History here.
On our Governance page you'll find all the info about the Board of Directors for Prairie Air Incorporated, board meeting minutes, Prairie Air Incorporated Bylaws, and WEFT Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Proposing a WEFT show
Link to Getting a show.
If you want to contact any of WEFT's Administrators, visit our Administrative Contacts Page .
If you want to contact any of WEFT's Genre Directors, visit our Music Committee Contacts Page .
Picture of the Month (from the WEFT Archives)
Previous pictures Kilborn Alley in WEFT T-shirts WEFT's attic used to be a gambling joint - The Turf Club Blues Hall of Famer Eddie Shaw, Jackie Scott and Bob Santa Ra Rasta James - 4th of July Parade WEFTfest 1981 - Captain Rat and The Blind Rivets the origin of the albums upstairs - Prairie Air News - July 1979 4th of July 2016 WEFTie - WEFT's mascot! WEFT's original call letter's were WERU
WEFT - In the Media
- News-Gazette article - November 13, 1981 - C-U's Community Radio - by John Erickson, Written shortly after WEFT went on the air. Interesting story about WEFT's struggles with the FCC and other issues to begin broadcasting. (Recently discovered at the Urbana Free Library.)
- Smile Politely article - April 11, 2017 - Kevin Elliott, A soldier of the "blues" - by Sal Nudo
- News-Gazette article - February 9, 2017 - Todd Durnil, host of Bleecker Street - "And the Grammys will go to ..."
- News-Gazette video - January 10, 2017 - MJ's Minute: Lainey Emmons - Station manager at WEFT 90.1-FM, and Centennial grad, visited our studios to talk non-profits with our Marcus Jackson.
- News-Gazette article - May 5, 2016 - Notes-Worthy: Renee Angelah, C.U. Bands and Fans' Terry Brown chats with WEFT host Renee Angelah
- News Gazette article - February 14, 2016 - Todd Durnil, host of Bleecker Street previews the 58th Annual Grammy Awards
- News Gazette article - November 08, 2015 - Artist feature on Station Manager, Lori Serb
- Smile Politely article - Sept. 3, 2015.
- News-Gazette article - September 11, 2014 - Pledge Party bringing the Funk to town
- News-Gazette article - July 3, 2010 - WEFT's new solid-state transmitter
- Buzz article - March 17, 2010
- Boca Raton News - December 18, 1983 - Press release about WEFT's early days sent to national news outlets
WEFT Wireless - Past Issues
Archived Issues WEFT Revue - July - August 2004 - Vol. 13 Issue 4 (cover only, issue features WEFT in the 4th of July parade) WEFT Revue - Jan. - April 1996 - Vol. 4 Issue 2 WEFT Revue - May - June 1995 - Vol. 3 Issue 3 WEFT Revue - Jan. 1994 - Vol. 2 Issue 1 WEFT Revue - Dec. 1993 - Vol. 1 Issue 1 WEFT Wireless - Spring 1993 WEFT Wireless - Spring 1992
If you have questions contact WEFT's Station Manager at 217-359-9338.