What makes WEFT 90.1 FM different from all commercial stations and most public radio stations is that we are owned and operated by members of the community we serve. WEFT is about variety, diversity and more.
- WEFT 90.1 FM is a non-commercial radio station locally owned by Prairie Air, Incorporated, a not-for-profit corporation.
- WEFT 90.1 FM is an accessible, responsible and responsive radio alternative, serving the diverse communities of radio listeners in East Central Illinois and worldwide listeners via our stream.
Link to WEFT's full Mission Statement.
WEFT's first began broadcasting on the FM airwaves on September 26, 1981, you can read a short version of WEFT's History here.
WEFT Video from the 90's https://youtu.be/X0EJEIGP4BQ Clips of many WEFTies who helped make WEFT what it is today. How many do you recognize?
On our Governance page you'll find all the info about the Board of Directors for Prairie Air Incorporated, board meeting minutes, Prairie Air Incorporated Bylaws, and WEFT Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Proposing a WEFT show
Link to Getting a show.
If you want to contact any of WEFT's Administrators, visit our Administrative Contacts Page .
If you want to contact any of WEFT's Genre Directors, visit our Music Committee Contacts Page .
Picture of the Month
Previous pictures WEFT's COVID-19 Airshifter Safety Tips WEFT's old and new towers WEFTies at the Holiday Shop & Stroll - Saturday December 14, 2019 WEFT's new antenna is starting to arrive - Monday November 4, 2019 - lots of work still remains WEFT Fest Crowd - Sunday September 8, 2019 Seven Saints Beer Garden CCHCC/WEFT Benefit - Saturday August 3, 2019 at The Iron Post WEFT 4th of July float 2019 WEFT Fest 2018 on the street Kilborn Alley in WEFT T-shirts WEFT's attic used to be a gambling joint - The Turf Club Blues Hall of Famer Eddie Shaw, Jackie Scott and Bob Santa Ra Rasta James - 4th of July Parade WEFTfest 1981 - Captain Rat and The Blind Rivets the origin of the albums upstairs - Prairie Air News - July 1979 4th of July 2016 WEFTie - WEFT's mascot! WEFT's original call letter's were WERU
Thanks to our friends at UPTV - Urbana Public TV they film and edit the video and post it on YouTube
WEFT Sessions is currently on hiatus from live performances due to COVID-19 concerns. Each Monday night at 10:00 WEFT brings you an encore performance from our WEFT Sessions library.
Here's one of the most popular videos from the WEFT/UPTV Archives with over 700 views
Here's a few recent WEFT Sessions
- Nick Dillon - March 03, 2020
- Two Legged Zoo - February 03, 2020 - John McNally from Urbana
- Jimi Dragonfly - January 27, 2020 - from Champaign
- Cosmic Lung - December 16, 2019 - from Champaign
- The Strips - November 18, 2019 - from the Kankakee area
Mike Feldman's Collection WEFT's ace sound engineer for WEFT Sessions and other live music also occasionally has time to film some of the great artists that have performed at WEFT http://sessions.weft.org/Media_Other/ Videos by artists such as Cash McCall, Jeff Jensen, Tom Holland, Mackville, William Marsala and Bryan & Aaron Wilson.
WEFT Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/user/WEFT901FM Updated with UPTV WEFT Sessions and Prairie Monk shows on a weekly basis.
WEFT - In the Media
- News-Gazette article - February 9, 2020 New antenna on the way for WEFT community radio by Mary Schenk
- Video feature on Womyn Making Waves Airshifter Cope Cumpston - YouTube video created by Connor Cieko
- News-Gazette article - October 27, 2019 'The most unknown and underutilized resource in our community': WEFT 90.1 still making waves by Paul Wood
- News-Gazette article - September 6, 2019 Chef Ra's Urbana High classmates to hold memorial for him at 50th reunion
- News-Gazette article - November 13, 1981 C-U's Community Radio by John Erickson, Written shortly after WEFT went on the air. Interesting story about WEFT's struggles with the FCC and other issues to begin broadcasting. (Recently discovered at the Urbana Free Library.)
- Smile Politely article - April 11, 2017 Kevin Elliott, A soldier of the "blues" by Sal Nudo
- News-Gazette article - February 9, 2017 Todd Durnil, host of Bleecker Street - "And the Grammys will go to ..."
- News-Gazette video - January 10, 2017 MJ's Minute: Lainey Emmons - Station manager at WEFT 90.1-FM, and Centennial grad, visited our studios to talk non-profits with our Marcus Jackson.
- News-Gazette article - May 5, 2016 Notes-Worthy: Renee Angelah, C.U. Bands and Fans' Terry Brown chats with WEFT host Renee Angelah
- News Gazette article - February 14, 2016 Todd Durnil, host of Bleecker Street previews the 58th Annual Grammy Awards
- News Gazette article - November 08, 2015 Artist feature on Station Manager, Lori Serb
- Smile Politely article - Sept. 3, 2015WEFT 90.1 keeps community radio alive.
- News-Gazette article - September 11, 2014 Pledge Party bringing the Funk to town
- News-Gazette article - July 3, 2008 WEFT's new solid-state transmitter
- Buzz article - March 17, 2010 Music Issue Radio Station: WEFT 90.1
- Boca Raton News - December 18, 1983 Press release about WEFT's early days sent to national news outlets
WEFT Wireless and WEFT Revue Past Issues of WEFT's Newspapers and Electronic Newsletters
Archived Issues WEFT Revue - July - August 2004 - Vol. 13 Issue 4 (cover only, issue features WEFT in the 4th of July parade) WEFT Revue - Jan. - April 1996 - Vol. 4 Issue 2 WEFT Revue - May - June 1995 - Vol. 3 Issue 3 WEFT Revue - Jan. 1994 - Vol. 2 Issue 1 WEFT Revue - Dec. 1993 - Vol. 1 Issue 1 WEFT Wireless - Spring 1993 WEFT Wireless - Spring 1992
If you have questions contact WEFT's Station Manager at 217-359-9338.