Big Al's Community Chat Alternating Wednesdays 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Big Al's Community Chat is broadcast the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month, it alternates with the Sync Sound System which airs on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesday.
It is a public affairs show that hopes to enlighten and educate WEFT listeners to the duties and responsibility's of elected and appointed officials. In future shows it will bring exciting guests in many different areas of politics, business, sports, agriculture etc. Host: Al Kurtz
Shows are archived in mp3 format at 196kbps for fast downloads.
February 2017 shows
- February 08, 2016 Big Al discusses a range of local, state and national topics.
December 2016 shows
- December 14, 2016 Big Al's guest is Gordy Hulten the Champaign County Clerk. They discuss the up coming spring 2017 election and the recently passed referendum concerning the new County Executive position.
November 2016 shows
- November 09, 2016 Big Al discusses local issues and the results of the recent election.
October 2016 shows
- October 26, 2016 Big Al discusses local issues.
- October 14, 2016 Big Al's guest is Pattsi Petrie, Chair of the Champaign County Board. She will be discussing and reading her letter to the governor concerning the County nursing home.
September 2016 shows
- September 28, 2016 Big Al discusses local issues.
- September 14, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is Chris Alix. Chris is the Champaign County Boards rep in District 10 and is the Chair of the Finance Committee of the County Board. They discuss the Tax and other referendums that will appear in the November 2016 election.
August 2016 shows
- August 24, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is Dr. David Gill the independent candidate for the 13th congressional district.
- August 10, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is the nationally recognized award winning sports journalist for the News Gazette, Loren Tate.
July 2016 shows
- July 27, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is Marcus Jackson, an award-winning Illinois men's basketball beat writer for The News-Gazette. In addition to his covering news areas other than sports for the New Gazette he has multimedia responsibilities including online chats, video reports, radio hosting and television appearances. He has helped develop their a social media presence, bringing traffic to their various online products.
- July 13, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is Health educator Dr. David Magnano. He is one of the nation's top chiropractic physicians with more than 30 years of clinical practice. He's addressed a wide range of health issues with a focus on the role that digestion plays in maintaining a healthy immune system. Our show is entitled, Doctors tips for beating BBQ Bloat.
June 2016 shows
- June 08, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is the Hon. Jeffrey B. Ford, Circuit Court Judge of the 6th Judicial Circuit, State of Ill. They discuss his career and the very successful Drug Court he started and other matters facing our court system.
- June 08, 2016 Big Al's guest this week is the Chair of the Champaign County Board Pattsi Petrie. We will be discussing the jail and nursing home issues and all things pertaining to Champaign county.
May 2016 shows
- May 25, 2016 No studio guest in this weeks show. Big Al discusses a variety of topics.
- May 11, 2016 Big Al's guest is Dr. Robert J. Trapp a Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and an expert on severe convective storms, their attendant hazards. Also discussed - Is Climate Change real.
April 2016 shows
- April 27, 2016 Big Al's guest is Dr. David Gill an Independent candidate in the Illinois 13th Congressional District.
March 2016 shows
- March 9, 2016 Big Al's guest is Champaign County Board Member Astrid Berkson.
February 2016 shows
- February 24 2016 - A music show substituted for Big Al's show this week.
- February 10, 2016 Big Al's guest is Bill Cubit, the Fighting Illini head football coach. He discusses his path from his youth to the Illini head football coaching job, and all things Illini.
January 2016 shows
- January 27, 2016 Big Al's guest this week was Rush Record. He is the Executive Director of CASA, the Champaign County Court Appointed Special Advocate. CASA is a not-for-profit organization which recruits, trains, and monitors volunteers who advocate for the best interests of abused and neglected children.
- January 13, 2016 Big Al hosts a call-in show and talks about a variety of local news stories.
Archives of Big Al's 2015 shows
WEFT is holding our Pledge Drive, if you enjoy our Public Affairs Archive please consider making a donation at this time!
To donate online, check out our Support WEFT page. Questions? Give us a call, 217-359-9338.
Thanks to everyone who donated during our Pledge Drive.