Disability Beat Monday 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Hosted by Vicki Niswander. Disability Beat is about and for people with all types of disabilities with a slant toward social justice, community supports, inclusion, accessibility, freedom and choice. For podcasts and more information, visit the homepage at disabilitybeat.com
Shows are archived in mp3 format at 56kbps for fast downloads.
December 2015 shows
- December 28, 2015 - Tim Harris, a man with Down Syndrome who owns his own restaurant, and Zachary Fennell, author of “Off Balanced”.
- December 21, 2015 - This weeks program offers a survey of topical news of interest to our Disability Beat listening community.
- December 14, 2015 - An interview with Jennifer Green, Community Inclusion Specialist and advocate for people with mental illness.
- December 07, 2015 - New local organization, CU Able.
November 2015 shows
- November 30, 2015 - Elizabeth Rahuba, advocate for mental health recovery.
- November 23, 2015 - Bill Bogdan on an upcoming event in Champaign-Urbana for those interested in learning more about sled hockey.
- November 16, 2015 - Jo Gibson of SEEC, a Cooperative in Edwardsville, on a new initiative for supportive housing for people with intellectual disabilities.
- November 09, 2015 - Stacy Yusim, advocate and consultant discusses guardianship options for people with developmental disabilities.
- November 02, 2015 - Paul Brailler of Criptaedo on self-defense and physical fitness for people with disabilities.
October 2015 shows
- October 26, 2015 - Guest Nancy Hinkley is based at Cornell University in NY state and currently the Primary Investigator and Program Director for two projects funded by the NYS Developmental Disabilities Planning Council: Partners in Policymaking Training Program, and NYS Sibling Needs Assessment.
- October 19, 2015 - Attorney Barry Taylor of Equip for Equality on a statewide case on behalf of deaf prisoners who are denied communication accommodations.
- October 12, 2015 - Jim Mayer, Transition Specialist for the Rural Champaign County Special Education Cooperative discussing the Disability Resource Expo to be held on Saturday, Oct 17 from 9-2 at the Fluid Events Center in Champaign. WEFT is a co-sponsor of this event.
- October 05, 2015 - Walt Blumenshine of GROW, a support organization for people with mental health concerns.
September 2015 shows
- September 28, 2015 - Chicago attorney, Kenneth Ditkowsky on financial abuse of people who are elderly and/or who have disabilities.
- September 21, 2015 -Wendy Partridge, Project Coordinator about a project called “A Life Like Any Other” in Rockford, IL.
- September 14, 2015 - Alan Kurtz, former Chair of the Champaign County Board, and host of Big Al's Community Chat on WEFT, talking about disability services for Champaign County
- September 07, 2015 - Claudia Lennhoff, Executive Director of Champaign County Health Care Consumers.
August 2015 shows
- August 31, 2015 - Shirley Perez of Family Support Network & The Ligas Family Advocate Program, and Kimberly Johnson-Evans, Family Advocate, two important programs of the ARC of Illinois that have recently been impacted by budget cuts
- August 24, 2015 - Ralph Martire, Executive Director Of the Center for Budget and Tax Accountability
- August 17, 2015 - Kira Meskin, president of the new chapter of Illinois TASH
- August 10, 2015 - Gloria Jean Sykes on her ADA lawsuit against the Champaign County Court refusing to allow her service dog in the courtroom.
- August 03, 2015 - Sandy Ginther & Ann Kremer of Early Choices discuss the importance of Inclusive Education for young children w/disabilities.
July 2015 shows
- July 27, 2015 - Ed McManus of McManus Consulting on the lowering of the personal needs allowance for people w/disabilities
- July 20, 2015 - Michele Westmaas, Project Coordinator of EPIC: Everyone in Pike Included and Contributing, a Systems Change Project in Pike County, IL
- July 13, 2015 - Michele Westmaas, parent and advocate
- July 6, 2015 - Rebekah Davis, Illinois Miss Amazing, & her mom, Sandi Long on the Miss Amazing Pageant for women w/disabilities.
June 2015 shows
- June 29, 2015 - Beth Gallagher of Lifeworks, a progressive provider in California & Geri Mariano, self-advocate & motivational speaker.
- June 22, 2015 - Tony Paulauski, Exec. Dir. of the Arc of Illinois & Russ Bonanno of the Autism Program of IL (partial rebroadcasts).
- June 15, 2015 - Mike Kaminsky of Lifestyles Academy in Palos Park, IL
- June 8, 2015 - Leanne Roth and Tara Wickey of the Illinois Self-Advocacy Alliance
- June 1, 2015 - John Spears of the program, Health Benefits for Workers with Disabilities (rebroadcast)
May 2015 shows
- May 25, 2015 - Film Director Alice Elliott & Self-advocate, Diana Braun, on their joint project to develop web-based training for self-advocates with developmental disabilities
- May 18, 2015 - Parent and advocate, Ed McManus
- May 11, 2015 - Vickie Kean & Susan Jennings on the passing of Don Moss, longtime advocate for disability services in Illinois
- May 4, 2015 - Russ Bonanno, Director of the Autism Program of Illinois
For podcasts and more information, visit the homepage at disabilitybeat.com .
Thanks to everyone who donated during our Pledge Drive.
Even though the drive is over, it's never too late to donate!
To donate online, check out our Support WEFT page. Questions? Give us a call, 217-359-9338.