Disability Beat Monday 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Hosted by Vicki Niswander. Disability Beat is about and for people with all types of disabilities with a slant toward social justice, community supports, inclusion, accessibility, freedom and choice. For podcasts and more information, visit the homepage at Link
Shows are archived in mp3 format at 196kbps for fast downloads.
April 2019 shows
- April 15, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Nikki Grace, founder of the Central Illinois Amputee Support Group and Certified Peer Visitor and trainer for the Amputee Coalition.
- April 08, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Peter Patton, Coordinator of the Self-Help Center at Family Services of Champaign County, on an upcoming conference for mental health.
- April 01, 2019 - The guest on today's show is David Allensworth, writer and director of a new horror film “Soul to Keep” featuring a deaf actor.
March 2019 shows
- March 25, 2019 - The guests on today's show are Mark Johnson of Adapt, and Peter Gross, filmmaker of “Piss on Pity”.
- March 18, 2019 - The guests on today's show are Barbara Bressner, Coordinator of the Upcoming Disability Resource Expo, and Allison Boot, Self-advocate, artist and social media manager.
- March 11, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Bob Peterson, Self-Advocate.
- March 04, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Cyclist Kyle Bryant, author of “Shifting into High Gear”.
February 2019 shows
- February 25, 2019 - The guests on today's show are Janet Larson and Tammy Bedford, members of a new family human services cooperative in Geneseo, IL.
- February 18, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Kristopher Johns, new WEFT trainee with Asperger’s Syndrome.
- February 11, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Tatiana Lee, Communications Fellow for RespectAbility.
- February 04, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Dr. Ruthie Marie Beckwith, Executive Director of National TASH.
January 2019 shows
- January 28, 2019 - The guests on today's show are Sandy Ginther and Ann Kremer of Early Choices, an initiative for young children with disabilities in Illinois.
- January 21, 2019 - The guest on today's show is self-advocate and speaker, Zayd Jawad.
- January 14, 2019 - The guest on today's show is Dr. Latha Soorya, Associate Professor at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, on a new study on autism.
- January 07, 2019 - The guests on today's show are authors Ravi Malhotra and Morgan Rowe on their book, “Exploring Disability Identity”.
December 2018 shows
- December 31, 2018 - The guest on today's show is self-advocate and author, Lisa Cecal.
- December 24, 2018 - The guest on today's show is an advocate and sister of three men with disabilities.
- December 17, 2018 - The guest on today's show is attorney Jonathan Martinis, on Supported Decision-making.
- December 10, 2018 - The guest on today's show is comedian and parent, Rachel Siegel.
- December 03, 2018 - The guest on today's show is JJ Hanley, Director of ABLE Accounts for the Illinois Treasurer’s Office.
November 2018 shows
- November 26, 2018 - The guests on today's show are Lynn Canfield, Executive Director of the Champaign County Mental Health Board and Developmental Disabilities Board, and John Fallon, Senior Program Manager for CSH, The Corporation for Supportive Housing.
- November 19, 2018 - The guest on today's show is David Northern, CEO of the Housing Authority of Champaign County.
- November 12, 2018 - The guests on today's show are Bryan Johnson and James Thompson on an upcoming workshop for financial planning.
- November 05, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Michael Berube, author of “Life as Jamie Knows It”.
October 2018 shows
- October 29, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Joe Shapiro, NPR Reporter and author of the book, No Pity.
- October 22, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Beth Gallagher, CEO of Lifeworks, a community-based provider in southern California.
- October 15, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Adelle Renzaglia of CCAMR on mini-grants for people with disabilities.
- October 08, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Democratic candidate for County Clerk Aaron Ammons, discussing accessibility of elections for people with disabilities.
- October 01, 2018 - The guests on today's show are Meg Cooch, Executive Director of the Arc of Illinois and Self-advocate Nathan Joerndt on the upcoming Speak Out and Speak Up Summit.
September 2018 shows
- September 24, 2018 - The guest on today's show is Diane Gordon, president of parent group, CU Able, on a training for suicide prevention.
- September 17, 2018 - Today's show was dedicated to the current WEFT pledge drive, and Public Service Announcements.
- September 10, 2018 - The guests on today's show are Lynn Canfield and Kim Bowdry of the Champaign County Mental Health Board and Developmental Disabilities Board.
- September 03, 2018 - The guest on today's program is Michele Westmaas, Coordinator of the College for Life Program at John Wood Community College in Quincy.
August 2018 shows
- August 27, 2018 - The guest on today's program is self-advocate Tyson Bedford.
- August 20, 2018 - The guest on today's program is Allen Bergman, director of Partners in Policymaking, a program that provides training for family members and self-advocates.
- August 13, 2018 - The guests on today's program are self-advocate Abbey Hinz and her Mom, Sandy Ginther.
- August 06, 2018 - The guests on today's program are Ed and Ellen McManus, advocates and parents of an adult daughter with disabilities.
April 2017 shows
- April 10, 2017 - The guest on today's program today is MKyla Chantos of the Charleston Transitional Facility (CTF) Advocacy Center. This is the last program in the nearly 12 year run of Disability Beat.
- April 03, 2017 - The guest on today's program today is Meg Cooch the new Executive Director of the ARC of Illinois.
March 2017 shows
- March 27, 2017 - Guests for this program are Rick Schoell and Tom Grey of the Challenger League Baseball program.
- March 20, 2017 - Features an interview with Loralea Liss, Coordinator, Self-Help Center, Family Service of Champaign County on their upcoming Conference.
- March 13, 2017 - Features an interview with Paul Blobaum. He has a brother with disabilities and he was talks about that experience.
- March 06, 2017 - Features an interview with Tony Records, longtime advocate for self-advocacy and community-based supports.
February 2017 shows
- February 27, 2017 - Today's guest is Michael Berube, author of “Life as Jamie Know It”.
- February 20, 2017 - Guest is Ronnie Cohn, Court Monitor for the Ligas Consent Decree.
- February 13, 2017 - Guest is comedian and actress Rachel Siegel, parent of a son with Down Syndrome
- February 06, 2017 - Features an interview with Beth Gallagher, CEO of Lifeworks, a progressive provider for people with significant disabilities in California.
January 2017 shows
- January 30, 2017 - Features self-advocates Carrie and Charley discussing the importance of hiring their own staff.
- January 23, 2017 - Teresa O”Connor of the CU Autism Network
- January 16, 2017 - Attorney Jonathan Martinis on guardianship and supported decision-making
- January 09, 2017 - Kellie E. Branch-Dircks, Central Illinois Care Services Coordinator, The ALS Association Greater Chicago Chapter
- January 02, 2017 - Host Vicki Niswander on issues for 2017.
December 2016 shows
- December 26, 2016 - A rebroadcast of interviews with Self-Advocate, Bridget Brown, and Advocate and parent, Cindy Swanson
- December 19, 2016 - Tony Paulauski, retiring Executive Director of the Arc of Illinois
- December 12, 2016 - Kristin Owen, Executive Director of Choices Community Care Solutions.
- December 05, 2016 - A rebroadcast of interviews with Wendy Partridge on Facilitated Communication, and Robert Kingett, self-advocate.
November 2016 shows
- November 28, 2016 - Julie Kartel of Rosecrantz
- November 21, 2016 - Members of the Illinois Self-Advocacy Alliance
- November 14, 2016 - Summera Howell, filmmaker
- November 07, 2016 - Temple Grandin, professor of Animal Sciences at Colorado State University and renowned person with autism in a recorded presentation.
October 2016 shows
- October 31, 2016 - Zayd Jawad, advocate and speaker on his experience with Hunter Syndrome.
- October 24, 2016 - Nora Handler, sister of 3 men with disabilities on the importance of including siblings in decision-making for the future.
- October 17, 2016 - Wendy Partridge on the "Possibility of People"
- October 10, 2016 - James Thompson discusses Special Needs Trusts.
- October 03, 2016 - Hannah Sheets and Eric Enger of Community Choices discuss "Open Champaign," a series of events designed to promote acceptance, awareness and inclusive opportunities for people with developmental disabilities.
September 2016 shows
- September 26, 2016 - Features an archived interview with Brian King, speaker and consultant, as he discusses his experiences with Autism and Asperger's syndrome.
- September 19, 2016 - Features a discussion about the upcoming 10th annual Disability Expo with Barb Bressner and Jim Mayer.
- September 12, 2016 - Features an interview with the new Community Choices Executive Director Becca Obuchowski.
- September 05, 2016 - Sarah Stuber from The Heart of Illinois Down Syndrome Association talks about an upcoming conference about inclusion for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
August 2016 shows
- August 29, 2016 - This show features an interview with Teresa O'Connor of the CU Autism Network. She discusses and upcoming East Central Illinois conference on Autism.
- August 22, 2016 - Self advocate Bob Peterson is today's guest.
- August 15, 2016 - The guests today are Avi Laird and Jermaine Raymer from PACE (Persons Assuming Control of their Environment) the local center for independent living.
- August 08, 2016 - Guest today is Joe Shapiro, Correspondent from NPR and author of the book, “No Pity”.
- August 01, 2016 - The guest today is Philip Pauli, Policy and Practices Director for RespectAbility, a national organization dedicated to educating legislators and collaborating with other organizations regarding advancing best practices and improved policy for people with disabilities.
July 2016 shows
- July 25, 2016 - Illinois Senator Daniel Biss of Evanston discusses the progress of the Employment First legislation.
- July 18, 2016 - Ed McManus of McManus Consulting visits and talks about the biggest issues in Illinois related to people with disabilities.
- July 11, 2016 - Features an interview with John Fallon, Senior Program Manager for CSH working in the field of supportive housing. A new program for people with developmental disabilities in Illinois.
- July 04, 2016 - Features an interview with Nancy Hinkley of Partners In Policy Making from New York.
June 2016 shows
- June 27, 2016 - Ben Anderson is the guest this week. He is an author and Speaker on Disabilities-Advocacy & Disability-Awareness. His book is called, "IQ 63, So What!"
- June 20, 2016 - Paula Vanier, a volunteer at PACE and an advocate for herself and others with disabilities, and Nikki Bogas also an advocate, join Vicki to discuss two upcoming panel discussions focused on helping parents understand their disabled child's need for independence. July 7 and Aug 4, 3-5PM at the PACE Center for Independent Living, 1317 E. Florida Ave, Urbana, 217-344-5433.
- June 13, 2016 - Tony Paulauski, Executive Director of the ARC of Illinois, provides an update on the politics of disability services in Illinois.
- June 06, 2016 - An interview with Paul Brailer founder of Criptaedo an organization to tech self defense and physical fitness to people with disabilities.
May 2016 shows
- May 30, 2016 - An interview with Kelly Nowlin of the Champaign Urbana Theater Company (CUTC). She discusses the CUTC Penguin Project .
- May 23, 2016 - An interview with Cheryl Jansen, Public Policy Director for Equip for Equality
- May 16, 2016 - An interview with Susan Frick who co-facilitates Without Warning, a monthly support group for individuals and families who live with early onset Alzheimer's.
- May 09, 2016 - Today's guest is Thomas Jerkovich, Executive Director of the Division of Specialized Care for Children in Champaign.
- May 02, 2016 - This weeks guest are Shirley Perez and Kimberly Evans of the Ligas Family Advocate Program.
April 2016 shows
- April 25, 2016 - An interview with self advocate Lisa Cesal, co-author of, "They Said We Couldn't."
- April 18, 2016 - This weeks interview is with Teresa O'Connor of the Champaign-Urbana (C-U) Autism Network.
- April 11, 2016 - This week's guest is Sarah Leigh, Mental Health Recovery Advocate.
- April 04, 2016 - Guest this week is John Fallon, Senior Program Manager for CSH, discussing a new workbook for planning Supportive Housing Options. The workbook link is Family Supportive Housing Workbook
March 2016 shows
- March 28, 2016 - Guests this week are Ravi Malhotra and Morgan Rowe, authors of "Exploring Disability Identity and Disability Rights through Narratives: Finding a Voice of Their Own."
- March 21, 2016 - An interview with Debbie Einhorn, Executive Director of Family Matters, about the upcoming Family Conference on April 9, 2016. - Confernece Brochure
- March 14, 2016 - Show features a recorded talk by comedian, Maysoon Zayid.
- March 07, 2016 - Lucy Bilaver, Assistant Professor of Public Health at Northern Illinois University and University of Illinois Student, Zachary Sandler, on a research project involving families of children with autism in Illinois.
February 2016 shows
- February 29, 2016 - Michael Johnson and Tara Wickey from the Illinois Self-Advocacy organization speak about their organization.
- February 22, 2016 - Guest is AJ French, leader in the field of Mental Health Recovery
- February 15, 2016 - Guest is Baku Patel, Urbana attorney discussing the topic of Social Security Disability
- February 08, 2016 - An interview with Amber Smock, advocate from Access Living in Chicago, and a parent Gayleen Roberts. They discuss the impact of Department of Labor Overtime Rules for personal assistants.
- February 01, 2016 - An interview with Jessica Baker, an advocate who is recovering from mental health issues.
January 2016 shows
- January 25, 2016 -
- January 18, 2016 - Jennifer Knapp of Community Choices and Annette Becherer of Developmental Services Center discuss a new Employment First Initiative for people with intellectual disabilities in Champaign County.
- January 11, 2016 - Part 2 of a talk with Tony Paulauski, Executive Director of the ARC of Illinois discussing the top ten disability issues in Illinois in 2015. Topics included the Arc Executive Leadership Conference and the new rules from CMS, the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- January 04, 2016 - Tony Paulauski, Executive Director of the ARC of Illinois discussing the top ten disability issues in Illinois in 2015.
Archives of additional 2015 Disability Beat Shows
For podcasts and more information, visit the homepage at disabilitybeat.com .
Thanks to everyone who donated during our Pledge Drive.
Even though the drive is over, it's never too late to donate!
To donate online, check out our Support WEFT page. Questions? Give us a call, 217-359-9338.